Now a days Mobile has replaced telephone and computer and taken over the market dominantly. People are not very reluctant to switch on laptop or PC for everything that is doable through mobile. People rely on most of their personal financial transaction or even the personal things like passwords, photos keep in their mobiles.
Hence it is compulsory to deliver the tested software application to our clients. For the same it is critical to have an effective testing plan and strategy before an application is developed. Any bug in application may results into monetary losses, legal issue and irreparable brand tarnishing. So, to ensure a Mobile Application that is working flawlessly, user friendly and directing to the right place, it requires an extensive “testing” before release.
The Challenges in Mobile Application Testing:
Testing mobile application is different and complex compared to web application testing. Mobile testing requires a variety of platforms, OS versions, varied hardware, size of mobiles, frequent introduction of new devices and network condition. Certainly these are the issues which Mobile app developers need to keep under consideration and test accordingly, to deliver robust mobile applications.The few challenges and solutions are as follows:
1. Variety of Mobile Devices
To overcome the ranges of mobile devices we use Xamarin – test cloud. With Xamarin Test Cloud, we test a mobile apps on a variety of different devices and take advantage of detailed reports.
2. Interruption Issues
In any mobile application some interruptions like push notification, incoming or outgoing calls/SMS, network coverage outage, low memory alert are very common. We called it Interruption Testing and test the effect of the same.
3. Various Mobile Operating System version
In the present scenario the OS gets upgraded very fast which requires a balance with Hardware installed otherwise it impacts the running of mobile application. So we take care accordingly to ensure smooth functioning of app.
4. Monitoring Offline & Online State
A few applications pull data from internet, in a case where there is low connectivity it may provide wrong information if this syncing issue is not taken care of.
5. Performance Issues
Performance issue does not depend only on having “bug” but it also have dependencies on few more things like more images, visual effects, cache etc.
6. Inconsistent Internet Connection
We advise our clients for a lite version of application if they targeting their audience in rural or areas where there is inconsistency in connecting internet.
7. Localization challenge
A number of applications belongs to a particular culture which requires a specified user interface and content. We have to keep in mind these factors too.
Types of Mobile Testing
Basically there are two kinds of Mobile testing takes place in mobile devices:
1. Hardware testing:
The hardware testing is for the hardware required for any proper software application. We test for the minimum required hardware like internal processors, screen sizes, resolution, space or memory, camera, radio, Bluetooth, WIFI etc.
2. Software or Application testing:
The functionality of application is tested based on the SRS to ensure that it is proper functioning. Mobile application testing has changed as it upgraded with technology. We have to take care of testing following the stringent process so our clients do not face any issue.
The testing we do usually are:
• Usability testing– For smooth user experience
• Compatibility testing– Check compatibility for different mobiles devices, browsers, screen sizes and OS versions
• Interface testing– Test for menu options, buttons, bookmarks, history, settings, and navigation
• Services testing– Test application online and offline.
• Low-level resource testing- Check for memory usage, auto-deletion of temporary files& database
• Performance testing– Test the performance of the application on parameters like connection changes, battery consumption.
• Operational testing– Testing of backups and recovery in any condition
• Installation tests– Validating the application on different devices
• Security Testing– Test the validation of information system
Mobile Application Testing Strategy
The Test strategy should cover all the above mentioned parameters. A few pointers on the strategy:
1. Selection of the devices – Have to choose the device which are used to greater mass.
2. Emulators – In initial staged of development Emulators helps in quick and efficient testing.
• Device Emulator- provided by device manufacturers
• Browser Emulator- simulates mobile browser environments.
• Operating systems Emulator- Apple provides emulators for iPhones, Microsoft for Windows phones and Google Android phones
You can always call/email us if you have any questions or specific requirements. We’ll be happy to assist.